By Amy Dickinson
May 8, 2014
Dear Amy: Every fall, my sister, cousins and a cousin’s sister-in-law have a weekend shopping excursion in our home city. We stay in a hotel, treat ourselves, shop for our children and go out for lunches and dinners. It is a great time to reconnect.
I have a sister “Wendy,” who we do not invite. She is offended to the point of tears when she finds we have not invited her. My two sisters and I are very close in age, but Wendy hasn’t been as close to this set of cousins as my sister and I have been through the years.
We are all married stay-at-home moms. Wendy is a divorced, working mom with one young child.
There are several reasons we do not include her. We know she doesn’t have very much money for such an outing. She also does not have many of the same interests as we do. Her life is quite different from ours. We’re not interested in what she has to talk about. She complains too much about her aches and pains, and claims to have some kind of neurological disease that some of us feel is more psychosomatic than real and which she uses to avoid getting up for church on Sundays.
She also complains about her ex-husband who left her for another woman, but everyone knows it takes “two to tango” and she is not without fault.
We’re all very active churchgoers, while she only sporadically attends services. Plain and simple, she does not really fit in with us anymore.
She takes it very personally, and last year even came over to my home unannounced crying about it, which upset my children and caused my husband to threaten to call the police if she did not leave.
Now she barely speaks to me and has told our relatives that I am a horrible person (even though I’ve helped her).
How can we get her to understand that she should perhaps find another set of friends whose lives and interests align more closely with hers? — Sad Sister
Dear Sad: First, let’s establish that I agree with your sister: You are a horrible person.
Obviously, you can do whatever you want and associate with — or exclude — whomever you want, but you don’t get to do this and also blame the person you are excluding for not “fitting in.”
The only way your sister would ever fit in would be for you to make room for her. You are unwilling to do that, and that is your choice. But her being upset is completely justified, and you’ll just have to live with that.
Perhaps this is something you could ponder from your church pew, because despite your regular attendance, you don’t seem to have learned much.
- goatfrost likes this
- juniperbush reblogged this from askamydaily and added:
- littlethousand likes this
- gwarprincess reblogged this from askamydaily
- gwarprincess likes this
- hashtag--angst reblogged this from askamydaily
- betterthanihopedfor likes this
- sniperqueen3412 likes this
- helloitsmichello likes this
- cruisinforarubberman reblogged this from askamydaily
- stephcutiebabe reblogged this from askamydaily
- ofelio123 likes this
- 1out-of-7billion likes this
- ella-mentary likes this
- alimaeus likes this
- sarahtraunt likes this
- sarahtraunt reblogged this from askamydaily
- dynamoxie reblogged this from askamydaily
- darkshicreationsphotography likes this
- umeshu32 likes this
- sarahchristine likes this
- anisemoon reblogged this from askamydaily
- anisemoon likes this
- wanderlustsdesire likes this
- thefoolishandthewise likes this
- courtnicc likes this
- ineedcymbals reblogged this from tripleb-is-uncultured
- tripleb-is-uncultured reblogged this from askamydaily
- mytxicsmile likes this
- moraroma likes this
- ty444ty likes this
- saran-wrapped likes this
- enzosmama likes this
- edgeofafield likes this
- thshmn1019 likes this
- toastycharmander likes this
- jnaenae0123 reblogged this from askamydaily
- jnaenae0123 likes this
- thats-mrsbitch-to-you likes this
- wild--wonderland likes this
- ghooostooown likes this
- justabsolutelynobody likes this
- isabelles-sky likes this
- delilahskye23 likes this
- dreaming-outcast likes this
- caffine-explosion likes this
- fiery-viens likes this
- lady-faelan likes this
- ulrikmyrtue likes this